These are TWO decorative encaustic tiles from two different makers, dating to the 19th century, circa 1870. They were probably originally made as floor tiles.
LARGER TILE: Dimensions; 6 x 6 x 0.85 inches
This larger tile is a beautiful pressed tile by the William Godwin Company of Lugwardine, Hereford, England. It is inlaid with cream, yellow/gold, dark chocolate brown and orange/red brown clays to form a central distinctive, four section fleur-de-lis pattern . The back of the tile is stamped with; Godwin, Lugwardine, Hereford. The Godwin tile company of Lugwardine was among the more notable English makers of encaustic floor tiles, with many of their tiles used in churches and public buildings during the mid to late 1800s. William and his younger brother Henry started manufacturing encaustic tiles at Lugwardine, Hereford in 1852.
This tile is particularly attractive and could be presented set into a wood frame or inset into a wall or room design as an individual feature.
SMALLER TILE: Dimensions; 4.82 x 4.82 x 0.94
This encaustic tile is by Minton Hollins and Co. as marked on the back together with a Patent mark which is difficult to read. The tile is made in similar colorways to the larger tile and has a stylised leaf pattern, with flowers at the corners. This tile was probably part of a larger set originally.
Encaustic tiles are ceramic tiles in which the pattern or figure on the surface is not a product of the glaze but of different colors of clay. They are usually of two colors but a tile may be composed of as many as six. The pattern appears inlaid into the body of the tile, so that the design remains as the tile is worn down.
top of page
SKU: P 1093 and P 1094
bottom of page